Bulk Messaging to group members

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries How-to & Troubleshooting Bulk Messaging to group members

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, I'm faced with a problem concerning group messaging. I created a group of students, attached it to a course I published. I then tried to send a collective message (Course > Members > Bulk Messaging) but it does not work. What seems strange to me is the fact that although the group members appears as Participants (upper left part of the Course page), they do not appear in the central part of the Course page as if they were not duly registered for that course. We had to register each student one by one to be able to send the collective message, which is tedious and and useless as the very idea of a group is to help collective actions like messaging. Can you help me understand why it does not work? Something I missed? Can you tell me step by step how to fix this? Thanks very much in advance
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Please check the following pointers : If you are using the woocommerce to sell courses : 1.Check if the course is connected to the product form product edit page in the backend . refer : http://prntscr.com/a4gbqx 2. Check if the product is connected to the course form backend course edit page . refer : http://prntscr.com/a4gbey 3. Check if the buddypress components "Account settings" ,"Extended profiles","activity streams" and "Private messaging" are enabled from wp-admin -> settings -> buddypress -> components . 4. Make sure theme and plugins are updated to the latest version . 5. Try deactivating the third party plugins specially the caching plugins .
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, Thanks for your answers. I've tried everything you suggested… no change. How can we fix this problem? Thanks for your answer
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Please confirm are you selecting any users whom you want to send messages in Course - ADmin area ? Every user has a checkbox connected with it, you need to select it to send the message. This is not clear from above discussion.
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, Thanks for your anwser. That's precisely the problem: the users do not appear in the central part of the course page even though a group with its members is duly registered (see enclosed screen). There seems to be a bug somewhere, no commection between the members of the group and the registered users. Thanks in advance for your help
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    It seems you're looking in the wrong area. The Course - Admin area is for students subscribed for the course. So you can only send messages to Course students. In the screenshot it seems the course is empty and there are no users subscribed to this course. Which means you want to send a Global announcement or Message. This is already inbuilt in BuddyPress.   Please let me know if this answers your query.
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Thanks for this prompt anwser. I found the way to your screen but… what do you mean by "all users"? Everybody registered on the website? That's not what we want: we want to send a message to all the members of a specific group. That was the idea for us of sending messages to a group attached to one specific course… or what is the point of creating a group? Thanks for your answers
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    I am assuming the specific group is actually a BuddyPress group. A group is different from a course, your screenshots suggests that there are no users in the course but from the inference that I make from above statements suggest that you've manually added users to the group. Please confirm, the above information is very important to understand the issue and it has been missing up till this point. Now, BuddyPress groups is a BuddyPress functionality and this is not yet built in the groups section. However, you can use this plugin for the same purpose : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-group-email/ This functionality would also be available in Course Batches releasing in our future updates.  
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, Thanks for your answers. I must say I was quite confused when I started reading them. It seems that we don't understand each other. What I want to do is quite simple: sending messages to all the participants to a course. We don't need, at least in the first place, to send an overall message to all registered users on our site, it makes no sense. I gathered I had to first create a group with all the participants and then there would be a functionality to communicate with this group. It is such an obvious need on a LMS that for me it had to be a built-in functionality. The re should be no need to pay (BuddyPress Group messaging has to be paid for and is expensive) for what should be a standard functionality and not an option. I gather from your 2 answers… that it is not. Or maybe I don't understand the relationship between courses and groups: – when creating a course, we are advised to attach it to a group we would have created beforehands. If we cannot communicate that easily with the group we built, what's the use of a group for the teacher or the administrator? – you're saying: "In the screenshot it seems the course is empty and there are no users subscribed to this course." Again:1°) I first created a group and added manually 27 people in it 2°) I attached this group to a course. In my understanding, these people should then appear as (fully registered) students for this course. Why isn't it so? It is not logical for me; – last, you're saying: "Now, BuddyPress groups is a BuddyPress functionality and this is not yet built in the groups section." I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean here. Can you be clearer on that point? One last thing: please keep in mind that we, non-English speakers are faced with 2 difficulties. English is not our mother tongue and it also deals with technical issues…which is not our specialty either as members of the general public. You did a great deal by producing video tutorials… but they are in English again and at times difficult to follow. A solution? Translation of your theme and/or chat sessions (or Skype support) which could be more effective than long e-mails. Thanks in advance for your answers
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Actually I saw your screenshot and there were no students present in it (please add students to the course then only you will send them message), so I misunderstood it. When you have users in the course then you can send them bulk messages at one time. You need to select all the users and then click on bulk message and send them bulk message, refer: http://prntscr.com/a7q8jj
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, Latiyan Thanks for your prompt anwser. I knew this bulk messaging functionality once participants are added one by one for a course. My point is this: we have 27 students concerned with a large variety of courses during their first and second year. We want to use the group fonctionnality to register them in bulk to each course (by linking each course to the group). In my understanding, they should then appear as participants automatically (without the hassle of manual registration) so that we can liaise with them. If it's not automatic, what's the point/the use of creating a group? How can we achieve that? Thanks in advance for your help
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well this is not available as of now in wplms . But that would be possible with the help of batches addon plugin that we are developing right now . Please refer : https://wplms.io/support/forums/topic/wplms-batches/
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, Alex Thanks for your answer. Could you please explain the utility of groups within WPLMS theme? If we can't liaise with a large number of website users, what is it good for then? Thanks
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well connecting the groups to the course will give link to the group in the course . Also you will have your course students (whether they have finished the course,course is expired for them) in one place and you can contact them also in a group. Also there are many group related addons available you can take advantage of . But the real advantage would be with the batches addon plugin .
    EmiGrandOuest
    Spectator
    Hi, Alex Thanks for your answers. My questions today: – the batch addon plugin seems great but is still under development. When will it be available? – I don't understand your sentence: "connecting the groups to the course will give link to the group in the course". Creating a group, inserting people in this group and connecting the group to the course has no effect on the course as the group people do not appear as registered users. What kind of link are you talking about? – there seems to be a size limit in the course page (see enclosed screen). How can we extend it? I tried to check your Tips section but could not understand exactly if it's the proper code and where precisely to insert it. Could you help here by sending me the complete code and tell mer where to paste it? Thanks very much in advance for your help
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Bulk Messaging to group members’ is closed to new replies.