Registering issues

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries How-to & Troubleshooting Registering issues

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    I have a few issues with the registration:
    1. The username is automatically being generated as the username, even though I've unchecked this box in the settings? I want them to be able to set themselves up a separate username, how do I do this?

2. When they are registering is there an extra step of verification from an admin to accept them as a user?

H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi, 1) There is some misunderstanding here, because a user cannot be registered in wordpress without a username. Therefore this is not possible for the users to register on the website without a username and if the username is not set then by default the email is set as their username. 2) It depends which registration form you are using. Please clarify if you are using wplms custom registration form or the buddypress registration form.
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    Hello, An update: I have fixed the issue with the username but now I still have this following issue with activation.
    1. When a user registers they get sent an activation email - with a link. However, once they've registered (my form is in the AJAX popup) it automatically logs them in, and sends them back to same page they were on. So they now don't need to activate as they can do everything they need without activation.
    2. Because they don't bother activating, as they don't need to because they get no notifications/messages about not having access to the pages because they're not activated, this means they go into the pending users, see link - https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/2812970/abb161d78b0f9969f5188b1578ab52ff So then the admin now does not get any notification about the new user?! Why do they immediately have access to everything even though they haven't verified their email with the activation link? This seems so strange, and makes no sense?
    3. If they do bother to activate, (which 90% of the tester's haven't) the activation link just refreshes onto the homepage? Shouldn't it at least refresh onto their courses dashboard or something?
    This really needs fixing, or maybe I'm missing something? But i've noticed quite a lot of other users in the forum have had the same issues. Thanks in advance.
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi, The user can access to the website if you have set in the custom registration form setting to skip activation email or register and login simultaneously. So please check your settings for this issue. --------------- The user redirection after activation is set from wp-admin->wplms->course manager->redirect page on user activation.
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    Hi, Here are my issues:
    • I want the user to verify their email, but a lot of the received emails are going into the junk inbox so they're not receiving them and then not activating their account.
    • When the user signs up initially but does not activate their account, the admin/instructor doesn't receive any notification about this user?
    • Is there a way to have the admin manually approve the users before they're accepted as a member? I'm getting quite a few spam users signing up, and would like to manually get them approved by admin before them joining. 
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    Also, as an addition to the message above ^^ a spammer managed to bypass the 'REQUIRED' fields on my registration form? How can this be fixed?
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi, 1) The email going to spam folder is not the wplms issue as its hendled by the email plugin you are using for sending the emails. 2) The admin receives the notification when a user is registered and activates her account. This notification is sent by wordpress itself and not by wplms. 3) Sorry this is not available for the admin to approve each account for user before sending them activation email. You can check for any third party plugin for buddypress account creation as the account is created by buddypress itself. 4) For spammers you can use google captcha and other security plugins like wangaurd etc.
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    1. But we know by now that the only way to display the html emails with WPLMS is through the regular wp mail function, because they don't function with any of the SMTP providers! So what is the answer to this? I'm just going round in circles. Can I edit the confirmation message at the bottom of the ajax popup to at least add please check your spam? - Also at the bottom of here is a very annoying red circle? Can you notify me how to get rid of this?  4. I already have google captcha and Wangguard is no longer available as it's been shut down. 5. Can you tell me how the spammer managed to register without filling out the required fields I had set?      
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi, => For testing purpose we use gmail smtp plugin and postman smtp plugin, both works fine with wplms to send html email templates on our test setup. Yes you can change any text in wplms, you can use loco translate plugin for this refer this tutorial: https://vibethemes.com/documentation/wplms/knowledge-base/translate-using-loco-translate-plugin/ => No the plugin has not been shut down, I am not sure which plugin you are checking, please refer this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wangguard/ => Please let me know which field the spammer was able to bypass.
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    I'm confused I was told on another ticket that the HTML emails don't work because of this reason -  https://wplms.io/support/forums/topic/emails-being-sent-as-plain-text-instead-of-html-guide-to-fix-it/ Are you now telling me that it does work with Postman? Yes plugin hasn't been shut down, but the API to put into the plugin when configuring has - heres why: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/why-wangguard-was-closed/ The spammer was able to bypass all of my custom BP fields - so both the 'Full Name' and 'Contact Number'. Thanks in advance :)
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi, Right now on my test setup I am using gmail smtp . I guess I have to test postman smtp plugin again on my test setup. -------------- I checked your website and checked your registration form, I just registered on your website without name or contact info. Actually I just added blank space in it and it registered me as a user. These are buddypress fields so buddypress can only validate it and not wplms. For contact number you can select the field type to be number so that buddypress validates it as a number.
    liamsiviter
    Participant
    Right okay, I'm guessing you can't use a non-gmail address with this right? Okay, I'll maybe contact buddypress forum about this. Thanks for your help.
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Thanks for the update.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Registering issues’ is closed to new replies.