Students count in modern directory

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries How-to & Troubleshooting Students count in modern directory

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    isigma
    Spectator
    I think it is confusing to see 90/8 students in a course counter. By analyzing what I see in each course in the directory I can guess, that the first number is (Total taken counter), second is (Course limit), but I doubt that many students will get that too. How can I change the logic to:
    • show Total taken only if the course has no limit (vibe_students field)

• show Booked/Limit for limited courses. (?/vibe_max_students)

Where do we take Booked info?  

Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    If you have set the number of seats later on in that course or you may have added many students manually from course admin  then  this type of anomaly may appear . If you already have 90 students in course then just set the no. of seats form 90+ . Then the counter will also appear to be correct like 90/95 or 90 exact .
    isigma
    Spectator
    It looks like we treat two fields in LMS differently. Let's talk about it 1. Total number of students. My guess this field is to add up to display counter the number of students, which got in without registering on the site. It makes sense only for online courses. Because in online courses we can have as many students in the course as we want, and all of them a registered on the site, then we do not have to limit it. Thus we also do not need the total number field as well. Another thing is if the total number field means the Grand total, meaning the course's lifetime accumulative number of unregistered students. Then the front-end Attended counter will  show Total Students + Officially Attended. Right? Because I'm using my DB from the previous LMS, the Total students number (people, earlier attended, but they are not registered in WPLMS) is larger than a course limit number. 2. Duration (if I may include it to our conversation) In current implementation it actually means Access Time, and booking people do not care about it in the first place. What they care, is the physical Duration of the class. For offline classes it's: 4 hours (workshop type), 10 days (course type). Only for online courses those two things mean the same. It means that on the online course display we are really missing a very important info - its duration. If we leave things as they are now, we're running into situations like this: - we set duration to 4 hours, to inform the future student what time frame to expect. He buys the course, and in four hours he looses access to all the Buddydrive, forum, etc. Despite the fact that the course starts in a month.  
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    1. Total number of students : there is seats field in the course that defines how many users can subscribe to the course (in normal way) (from traditional take this course page and then payment and all)  . this is a setting in course settings And there is course students count(vibe_students) which shows how many students have taken the course .It counts all the students whether they have finished ,unsubscribed,expired in the course . There is no settings for this but the count gets saved in the course meta and the count is populated whenever student is added into course . 2. Duration : Please note that there are two durations in course . Course duration and subscription duration . Course duration (which is this : http://prntscr.com/a7qvy7) is considered as the maximum course duration in the course and this duration will comes into picture when the user is added form course admin . Course product subscription duration which is this (http://prntscr.com/a7qx27) .this comes into picture when the course is not full course and the subscription is enabled in it . Then the user who purchases the course from take this course button (not added manually form course admin) will get subscribed for this product subscription duration . In this course duration will be treated for display purpose only and the it will be discarded . But if the product subscription is not enabled then course duration will come in picture .
    isigma
    Spectator
    1. But what is the meaning of the Total Students in the course settings (TOT)? From what I see the ATTENDED couter = TOT + taken previously + currently in the course. Is that true? Because, TOT is what I'm interested about, not the maximum.   2. IMHO our current Course duration neither applicable, nor informative for offline courses. Look what happen if I do not hide Start button on offline course: - example. the course is planned on August 1st with duration 10 days,  and student books it on July 1st; - 1st problem!! If I set the start date student cannot book it (no button), if I do not set the date, then in the info area there is no info for the student when the course starts!!! - let's say, I put the date into the description and student books it on July 1st - let's click on Start Course button (not sure if it is the right name for the button for the offline course in a month) to see the pre course instructions. What do se see here? 1. Course curriculum not set warning!! (why should the student of the offline course care about it?) 2. 9 days 23 hours left!!! - so poor student won't even be able to open course Files, Group, Forum at the time of the real course in August!!   Again. It worked for online courses, but not offline. We do need to change the meaning of the Duration info, displayed in the course for offline courses, plus the Start button/instruction page behavior. Do you agree?
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    1.Yes it is the count of all students that have taken the course and there is seats count to restrict the number of students who can actually take the course . 2. Just switch the settings to not to show the start course button (<span style="color: #313b3d; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 20px;">Hide Course Button after subscription -> Yes </span><span style="line-height: 1.5;">)and set a start date in course . This will hide the course start button after user purchase it . </span>  
    isigma
    Spectator
    2. Then if there is no handling offline course instruction page, we do not need the 'Hide Start button' setting, it should be off always for offline courses. There also no sense to hide the start button for online courses, as there will be no way to start it. Excluding the Hide button options from the course settings will prevent from confusions, and will exclude the redundancy. I see the functionality of it though if the instruction page would work correctly...
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    But some users still wants the start course page for some purpose . some of the users wanted their students to perform quiz online and study offline . This setting is added for that purposes .
    isigma
    Spectator
    that's what i mean, saying that there is a good purpose for the instructions page. As I understand the access timer will be discussed later.
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    We will be updating our documentation for the features that we added.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Students count in modern directory’ is closed to new replies.