Using, Modifying, Creating Widgets and Sidebars

Home Forums Chit Chat WPLMS customizations Using, Modifying, Creating Widgets and Sidebars

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ignas
    Participant
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 12.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; color: black; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Hi there</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 12.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; color: black; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">I tried to find the way to customize the All-Course page, but all I found that there is a sidebar "Budypress". And even if I change something in it it's not changing. So I assumed it is not possible to edit some of the theme pages. So I decided to build my own. And here where the questions comes:</span></p>
      <li class="MsoNormal" style="color: black; margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt; vertical-align: baseline;">I want to create three types of course: online, web seminars (live streaming) and real event (where you actually go to course area at planned time. So On mane column of the page I create tab for each of them. How can I add this new course criteria (with 3 value options) to description of the course, so the instructor could set it? <li class="MsoNormal" style="color: black; margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt; vertical-align: baseline;">I tried to add courses list / grid widget to each of that tab, but I could not find the way to do it so it looks just the same like on your theme page all-course. There is only one widget I found "BuddyPress Course Widget", but it has very limited displaying options, and nothing like grid. See the attached picture "course grid".  Bellow there is only WooCommers products list, which I don't want. I want courses grid here. <li class="MsoNormal" style="color: black; margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt; vertical-align: baseline;">General question about editing single widgets, sidebars. Is there a way to access and edit those widgets and sidebars designed by you? Can they be modified on programing level? <li class="MsoNormal" style="color: black; margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt; vertical-align: baseline;">I tired to place via Visual Composer in to one of those tabs your sidebar "Student Sidebar". It looks that it's working, but the statistic blocks had no colour, etc. Should they normally work or there are some mismatching issues expected? <li class="MsoNormal" style="color: black; margin-bottom: .0001pt; line-height: normal; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt; vertical-align: baseline;">How can I build my own widget? Are there required a programing skills? I am ok with using WordPress, or some external builders, but I do not programing. Shall I consider hiring a professional programmer?
      <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; color: black; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB;">Thanks</span></p>
    Ignas
    Participant
    Sorry I repeat my post: Hi there I tried to find the way to customize the All-Course page, but all I found that there is a sidebar "Budypress". And even if I change something in it it's not changing. So I assumed it is not possible to edit some of the theme pages. So I decided to build my own. And here where the questions comes: 1. I want to create three types of course: online, web seminars (live streaming) and real event (where you actually go to course area at planned time. So On mane column of the page I create tab for each of them. How can I add this new course criteria (with 3 value options) to description of the course, so the instructor could set it? 2. I tried to add courses list / grid widget to each of that tab, but I could not find the way to do it so it looks just the same like on your theme page all-course. There is only one widget I found "BuddyPress Course Widget", but it has very limited displaying options, and nothing like grid. See the attached picture "course grid". Bellow there is only WooCommers products list, which I don't want. I want courses grid here. 3. General question about editing single widgets, sidebars. Is there a way to access and edit those widgets and sidebars designed by you? Can they be modified on programing level? 4. I tired to place via Visual Composer in to one of those tabs your sidebar "Student Sidebar". It looks that it's working, but the statistic blocks had no colour, etc. Should they normally work or there are some mismatching issues expected? 5. How can I build my own widget? Are there required a programing skills? I am ok with using WordPress, or some external builders, but I do not programing. Shall I consider hiring a professional programmer? Thanks
    1 - You'll need a custom field and for that you can use the hook 'wplms_course_metabox' 2 - If I understood it correctly you want to either use categories or a custom taxonomy. I think this topic may help you: https://wplms.io/support/forums/topic/course-type-taxonomy/ 3 - You can create your own sidebar at: your-domain.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wplms_options&tab=2 For widgets you'd need a custom solution 4 - Some widgets are only meant to be used in the user / teacher dashboard, but I've also seen this behavior when I changed the dashboard slug, but this has been solved since. You can read more here: https://wplms.io/support/forums/topic/hard-coded-strings/ 5 - You can find some info online but you'll definitely need to use a custom code. I'm afraid there are no constructors for custom widgets. I hope that points you in the right direction
    Ignas
    Participant
    Thanks for informative reply. I actually find out that it would be way much more practical to stay with exiting Buddypress and apply simple Course filter widget for that. The only thing I would need to do is to modify the filter criteria Online/Offline. and make it possible to select 1 of 3 (E-Ugdymas / T-Ugdymas / G-Ugdymas) Also the instructor should be able to set this, and it should be visable in course description where there time, price are (in every pages where courses are promoted) . I assume it is quite a bit of work. I don't mind learning and reading if you would give me links on how to. Or if this is too long, I can hire freelancer, but I need your confirmation if this widget is possible to edit? I mean is the code open sourced? Thanks
    I just did a quick skimming through the code and it seems they added a hook you can use to accomplish that: bp_course_wplms_filters This is a good starting point to see if it suits your needs. I don't think their code is open sourced, but you may ask them
    Ignas
    Participant
    Hey thanks, good man! :) Actually for now I am using this Course Filter Widget by enabling Level, and using it for those tree criteria. But anyway it would be amazing if we could add as many criteria as needed.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Using, Modifying, Creating Widgets and Sidebars’ is closed to new replies.