Groups in BuddyPress are gatherings of members, posts, and any other user-generated content. If enabled by the site administrator, any member can create a group in BuddyPress. When a member creates a group, this person automatically becomes the group administrator. If creating a new course it is recommended that you create a new group for the course. By default, the group created is a private group only accessible to students taking the course. To create Groups, you need to first enable the setting from wp-admin > Settings > BuddyPress > Components
You can create Groups From Front End as well as from Backend
- Backend: wp-admin > Groups > Add New. Make sure that group page is connected to user group in wp-admin > BuddyPress > Pages
- Frontend: From Course Components Section as shown in previous unit
You can set Privacy Options for your Groups as :
- Public Group: Any site member can join this group. This group will be listed in the group’s directory and in search results. Group content and activity will be visible to any site member.
- Private Group: Only users who request membership and are accepted can join the group.
- Hidden Group: Only users who are invited can join the group.
You can invite others too.