Mailchimp Last Name not synching

Home Forums WPLMS AddOns WPLMS Mailchimp Mailchimp Last Name not synching

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fdittmar
    Participant
    Hi, First name & even Course Group sync ok on manual but Last Name is missing in MC. Any known issues? Thanks http://prnt.sc/eqnf6y  
    fdittmar
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Thanks for sharing the screenshots. As I can see in your screenshot only 2 user's last name is synced and the common between the two names is the "last" keyword. The code doesn't have any such restriction, may be the mailchimp API have some limitations, so we'll look into the API to check this issue.
    fdittmar
    Participant
    I think the problem is that you transfer 'Display name publicly as' data to MC instead of first name and last name when they are available. Can you fix this? thanks
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Yes you are correct we send display name instead of first getting the first name and last name and then send it. If we first calculate the firstname and the lastname then we'll have to make an extra query for all the users which will become expensive in terms of server resources and it will put much more load on the server, as the query will run for each and every user again and again. -------------- A better way will be to show the first and last name in the display name, if the display name is "Alex Hales", then automatically the first name will be Alex and last name will be saved as Hales in this example.
    fdittmar
    Participant
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there is no way to force WP to set the Display Name to First-Last automatically or as the default. The WP forums are full of people complaining about that issue. There are a few Plugins that say they can fix it but mostly not updated in years and their authors absent. So, if the Display Name cant be set automatically to have First-Last, what good is your WPLMS-Mailchimp plugin option to send the details over to Mailchimp automatically upon a user/student signing up? Doesn't that automatically mean is is not working correctly and the first-last combo that any course teacher would want to address his students isn't being sent across? Who would not want to address their student by proper First (or Full) Name when mailing them with something as granular as Mailchimp? What would be your recommended process to get this working correctly then? Slightly confused but hoping that I don't understand WP or your plugin... thanks    
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    If you check by default buddypress has only name field in it, there is no first name and lastname field in buddypress. But you have created a first name and last name field, and its not necessary that every user will create such field and with the same name, other users can create the field with some other names in their own languages. Therefore we only check the name field and if there is a space in it then we break it into first name and last name. ---------------- For this you can use other third party plugin, such as : https://wordpress.org/plugins/force-first-last/
    fdittmar
    Participant
    Hi, I take your point for sites that don't charge for their courses. I had not thought about sites that only use Buddypress for their registration. The whole mess with Names on WP has mainly to do with the discrepancy of WP and BP and Buddypress's omission of proper, sensible naming/address conventions. However, most sites amongst your customers, I suspect, do charge for their courses so they will not be relying on Buddypress but on Woocommerce (or some other ecomm backend) and thankfully they all understand and use first-last.  Your insistence to only do one sort of transfer severely limits the plugins usability as no site owner will want to log in after every registration just to manually change the display name for a new customer. I will put a feature request into your system to allow the user to decide whether to have the plugin cycle through the name loop. Maybe, if enough people want it you might implement a choice switch in future. Unfortunately this means that it is unusable for me (it never synched properly into an existing MC list anyway but at least I don't have to investigate that now) so I will just stop using it and look for another solution (maybe a Woo based one or something like Zapier). Also thanks for pointing me towards the other plugin by Stranger Studios. It was the one I was running for a week or so to test and is the one that is 2 years old with the authors no longer listing it. All the best. F.  
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Its very unfortunate to hear that the plugin is not useful for you. Well if you want I can make custom changes in your website for resolving this for you, but then you won't be able to update the plugin because if you do then all the changes will be lost.
    fdittmar
    Participant
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    fdittmar
    Participant
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    fdittmar
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Mailchimp Last Name not synching’ is closed to new replies.