Additional User Role and Capabilities

Home Forums General [ No Support Zone ] Feature Request Additional User Role and Capabilities

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pacworks
    Spectator
    I would like to make a recommendation or request for a future update. Ideally, it would be great if there was a role that came with WPLMS to allow parents of student or teachers to manage their own students only. These parents or teacher could:
    • Access student reports and stats
    • Manually grade any questions or quizzes that call for manual grading
    • Manually change marks or grades given by auto evaluation if deemed necessary
    These parents or teachers could NOT:
    • Create, edit, or delete posts, pages, courses, units, quizzes, questions, etc.
    • Manage or view student users who are not their students
    Additionally, it would be nice if upon registration, a parent or teacher could input information for themselves and their student(s) and accounts would be automatically  generated for the parent/teacher with access to the student. Something along those lines. Basically anything to keep the process as automated as possible to keep an administrator from having to manually assign these roles and the students roles to the respective parent teacher roles. This would be extremely helpful for developers using WPLMS who's target market is going to be school age kids. Many parents and teacher's want to be able to have this type of capability and oversight for their students. If a system like the one we are setting up is to be used in public schools, the schools will not consider such a program without this kind of access for teachers.
    I'm interested in Parent roles as well but I would also like to be able to set specific roles for Tutors and/or HR/contact person (we sell customized training to companies and there is usually a contact person within the company that wants/needs to monitor the employees' progress and maybe their marks as well). In my mind these would be the main applications:
    • Parent: allowed to see marks, progress and news for any course his kid is taking.
    • Tutor: allowed to see marks, progress and news for multiple students but only for a specific course.
    • HR/contact person: allowed to see marks, progress and news for multiple students but only for a specific course (like the tutor) -  Employees of a company might choose to buy another course with their own money and the contact person from the company should not be able to see those information.

pacworks
    Spectator
    As I suspected, I have had my site launched for a little over a week and I am already getting requests for this type of functionality. A lot of my success with homeschool families is going to hinge on this. I have seen other users post asking about the same type of functionality, so I feel like a lot of us could benefit from more user roles with different types of capabilities. Sure, you can use a plugin like User Role Editor, but it doesn't seem to provide the level of functionality for a user role that I am looking for. When we add our English courses, there will be a lot of essay type questions that will fall on the parent/teacher to manually grade, but I haven't figured out a way to do this without such roles. I could get by telling my customers that this functionality will be available in the future, but I don't want to misinform them if there is no plan to add this as a feature to WPLMS.  
    raf23
    Spectator
    This functionality would be very useful to me, i wonder if there is an update on this feature request?
    Adashi
    Spectator
    Any timeline for this feature? We would also be interested in Parent role. Access for parents to view progress of their child
    avishay1
    Spectator
    Much needed
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Additional User Role and Capabilities’ is closed to new replies.