Database transfer TEST to LIVE

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries Other issues Database transfer TEST to LIVE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    YarosIK
    Spectator
    Hello guys, so i have a live website running, users registering and placing orders, on the other hand i have a test env where i add new products, courses, add functionalities which all somewhere are getting registered in the database. My questions is: what database tables should i move (and what not) from my testing environment to my live website in order to avoid erasing registered users, their orders and their access to courses they subscribed but still being able to import new products and courses and all other changes ? thank you in advance Yaros  
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    You can use the Import / Export module of wplms for the same in wp-admin -> lms -> settings -> import/export . refer : https://wplms.io/support/knowledge-base/bulk-importexport-wplms-via-csv/ Important Note : While importing the courses and its data please make sure that the course id in the import file (test site) does not matches with the course id on your live site . If it matches it will overwrite the data of the existing course on live site .
    YarosIK
    Spectator
    Hello Alex, thank you, it may solve this particular issue but what would you advice in general? Lets say i need to develop a certain functionality for my site, i copy (content and database) in a test environment and it takes me 2 weeks to finish (the modifications can imply a multitude of things which all add to the database in different tables) In the mean while on my live website i have users registering, orders going through, comments, ratings, courses subscriptions, teachers adding courses.... Now if i want to push my website from test env. to Live env. how do i do that i terms of the databases? 1)I can not just push content without database 2)I can not overwrite live database with test env. because then i will lose important data3) Do i really have to track everything manually ? for example this and this table contains user info in my live database, i don't import it from test .... I tried to do that but its a mess. for example woocommerce uses wp_posts to store info on products and orders. This means that if on my test env i added new products, and in the meantime on my live website there were orders, i can not import the new wp_post table (containing new products) without loosing my orders history ... How do this type of situation is handled generally? I suppose i am not the first person trying to solve this problem. Is there a plugin which make a merge of database tables ? For example when i try to import wp_posts from test env to live, the pluging would scan both wp_post tables and import the wp_posts live env only what is different, without stupidly overwriting it ? thank you very much in adavnce Yaros
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well the best option which i would recommend is to use the wordpress import export for this using the xml files . But note here that it will import all the content( posts, pages ,courses and  its conent etc ) from your test site to your live site  . If page or post name with same name already exists it will not import it in your live site . I would also recommend to test this first on another test site which would be replica of your live site before attempting it on the main site .
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Database transfer TEST to LIVE’ is closed to new replies.