Large Text Question Quizzes Not Submitting Answers

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries How-to & Troubleshooting Large Text Question Quizzes Not Submitting Answers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    russellc
    Spectator
    We have set up a 195 minute practice exam as a quiz with a number of large text questions for students to complete. Everything works fine during testing. But we’ve had a number of students lose all their responses when they submit their quiz. All their answers are in the text fields on each question (viewed after clicking Previous Question and Next Question), but when they subsequently click Submit Quiz, no responses are saved – we can see the Quiz Submission in the Admin section, but there are no marked answers showing. Please see the attached screen shot. The common theme among the students having difficulty is Chrome, using wifi, and clicking on Previous Question. However, we cannot replicate the situation. This is causing great pain to candidates that have sat long exams and then lose all their data. I have been advised that you "use browser local storage to save the marked answers in the browser. The data is transferred when user clicks on submit quiz. So, it could be either of the following case a. The answer marked is not saved in browser local storage. (possible cause : conflict with some browser addon ) b. The result is not transferred to server ( possible causes internet and server overload)" However, I'm not sure how we can resolve the issue. Are you able to please urgently assist with some troubleshooting? Thanks so much, Russell  
    russellc
    Spectator
    In addition to the above information: When I click on ‘Activity’ in admin, I can see that the students have started the quiz and that they submitted the quiz within the time allotment. When I click on ‘Comments’ in admin, we actually have no comments at all since we pushed through the latest upgrade on 3 September – is that expected? [I note that since pushing through this upgrade, all the email notifications to students and instructors (e.g. for quiz results and quiz submissions) also stopped – any ideas how to get this back up and running? I have checked all the usual suspects – e.g. Settings > Discussion has emails turned on]. Thanks, Russell
    MrVibe
    Keymaster
    The previous reply is correct. The browser chrome is what we use for testing and developing, so it is not related to browser. If you can replicate this issue on any computer, here's what I would request you to do : a. In Chrome , right click and select inspect element b. Go to Resources c. Check the Local storage section and click on your siteurl. If the answers are saved in local storage there is no reason why these would not record. p.s: The answers for text questions are recorded "onblur" which means it is recorded after the user has stopped typing in the textbox.
    russellc
    Spectator
    Hi there, Yes, I've been investigating this for the last few days. I can see the local storage updating for every question I respond to in the quiz. Out of about 20 tests today, I was able to replicate the student issues on 2 occasions. However, I cannot seem to replicate it on demand. When I clicked Submit Quiz, all the local storage values disappeared. I then clicked on Show Results and there were no marked answers (on those 2 occasions I was able to replicate the situation). The only things that were common among both failures (and among all students that I have interviewed) are: 1. They are using Chrome 2. They have clicked 'Previous Question' at some stage 3. They are using wifi rather than cable. The first time I replicated the issue, I manually turned my wifi off and then back on again after 10 seconds. So, it led me to think that it was a wifi intermittent issue. But then, the second time I replicated the issue, I hadn't turned wifi off at all. In both situations, the only common theme was that I had clicked on 'Previous Question' at some stage in the quiz. However, the local storage values were still there right up until I clicked Submit Quiz. Is it possible that the results are being lost between the transfer of local storage to the LMS? This is a really critical issue for us. We have 500 students and they're in the last week of semester. We are trying to get them to use Word documents as a back-up, but they are losing faith. Thanks for your urgent assistance here. Regards, Russell
    russellc
    Spectator
    <p class="MsoNormal">Further to the above post, I have found that Comments are being captured – but they are at the bottom of the list – they all have a time/date stamp of "-0001/11/30 at 12:00 am".  This has only happened since 3 September since the previous release. Could this error time/date be causing the issue? Thanks</p>  
    MrVibe
    Keymaster
    Ok thanks for checking the local storage. When the user clicks submit, the answers are sent to the ajax call and the localstorage is cleared. Please share the WP Admin credentials in the ticket. p.s : Comment date usually do not matter because for questions we keep 1 comment per user to avoid any confusion/issues.
    russellc
    Spectator
    Thanks - yes, please review the setup and advise.  I assume 'admin credentials' refers to the username and password? Please advise if not. Username: Kain Password: SDDvsu28&(1   Regards, Russell
    MrVibe
    Keymaster
    Please share the site url as well.
    russellc
    Spectator
    Sorry, www.knowledgequity.com.au  
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    We checked your site and found that the your vibe course module and the vibe custom types plugins are outdated. Now we have updated the plugins ,Can you please check the issue again . If the issue is still appearing then please also try deactivating the third party plugins.
    rliburd
    Spectator
    How was this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem... none of the quiz answers are being saved.
    russellc
    Spectator
    Hi there, I provided my admin login details in a private reply and Mr Vibe/moderator checked our settings. As above, they updated the vibe course module and vibe custom types plugins to be the most current version. We haven't experienced any issues since. Note that when a student starts the quiz, doesn't enter anything and then lets the time expire, no answers are shown on the submission, so you need to check with the student whether it's 'user error' or not. Good luck.
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    We checked your site and found the large text quiz to be working fine as it should please check   http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/co6bldhnmu
    russellc
    Spectator
    Yes, my site is now working ok, thank you. My response was to rliburd above. Note, however, that a quick test of the feature probably isn't sufficient to determine whether it is working as intended. We had approx. 50% of students with no problems and 50% that had problems...and I could only replicate the issue in about 2 of 40 tests, so we couldn't replicate on demand. We weren't able to identify the specific underlying issue, but by being on the latest versions of all plugins everything now appears to be ok. Thanks.
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Can you help us in categorizing the students for which the quiz is not working on the basis of what operating system they are using and which browser they are using .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Large Text Question Quizzes Not Submitting Answers’ is closed to new replies.