Students being auto subscribed to forums not linked to course

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries How-to & Troubleshooting Students being auto subscribed to forums not linked to course

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    punkandchoop
    Participant
    Hi, We recently had to set up a Test Forum to troubleshoot issues we are having with forum notifications. What we discovered, through monitoring the Email Log activity, is that all students in our core course we also auto subscribed to this test forum and received notifications for all testing activity. We currently only have one course offered with one forum linked to that course.  The test forum was in no way linked to the course, yet all students received subscriber notifications. Please advice if WPLMS is auto subscribing students to multiple forums - even without direct linking to a course or unit.   Thank you.
    punkandchoop
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    WPLMS do not automatically subscribe students to the forum if its not connected to the course. If the forum  is public then any user on the website can open the forum and subscribed to the forum. If as an admin you are getting the emails/notification of the students of subscribing in the forum that means the students are subscribing the forum. If you do not want your students should subscribe to the forum then make the forum private, then the students will not be able to subscribe in the forum.
    punkandchoop
    Participant
    I understand how the forum settings works as you outline above. Here is the timing of the testing that occurred on our site to indicate how improbable it is that all of my course students voluntarily subscribed to this test forum:
    • BuddyBoss developer created test forum at 3:52 pm
    • Email log indicates that at 4:02 pm all 15 of my course students (including my own student test profile) received an email notification of a new reply created in the test forum
    The auto subscribe seemed the most likely culprit.  However, after receiving your reply I tried disabling bbPress Notify (no spam) plugin and it resolved the issue. I will contact that plugin author and share his response if it helps others with a similar issue if trying to use that plugin. Thank you for your input.
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    In wplms there is no such code where we would forcefully subscribe students to the forum (not connected to course), so this issue is connected to bbpress notify plugin only. Yes you can contact the plugin author for this issue.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Students being auto subscribed to forums not linked to course’ is closed to new replies.