Users are subscribed to courses after landing on course pages

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries Other issues Users are subscribed to courses after landing on course pages

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    soulshakepower
    Spectator
    Hi, When a user lands on a course page, he becomes registered to that course in backend, even though that user didn't clicked on the "start course" button. Therefore students that only check a course page for info are subscribed to it and get a huge list of "started courses" in their dashboard. Some users reported this and I could reproduce it (WPLMS 3.5.x and 3.6). A weird detail I've notice is that the "start course" button label remains as "start course", even though they are registered to that course in backend. The button should read "continue course" right? When they click on the start course button, it then becomes "continue course" as expected. Note: I thought this could come from the "Skip Course status page" option in LMS>settings, but the issue occurs no matter if this option is enabled or not. Can you take a look please? Thank you!
    soulshakepower
    Spectator
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well if your courses are free then courses get auto subscribed as soon as user opens course home page by default in wplms . to restrcit that please check for these two settings in wp-admin -> lms -> settings  : Assign Free courses to students on account activation:  should be disabled. Disable Auto allocation of Free courses : should be enabled
    soulshakepower
    Spectator
    Hi Alex, This is not happening on free courses but on payed courses. Although I use WC Memberships with a custom plugin to make it compatible with WPLMS. All my students need a WC membership to access courses. Student on screencast below has an active membership. Assign Free courses to students on account activation:  IS disabled. Disable Auto allocation of Free courses : enabled or disabled, same behavior on non-free courses. Here is a screencast of what's happening. I switched back to PHP 7.0 and since WPLMS 3.6 students got these strange warnings (see on screencast) when they first land on a course (before being auto-registered). Not sure where this comes from but I'll create a new thread after deeper tests disabling third party stuff etc.. Thanks for your help!
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well that is how the memberhsips addon works .If user has an active memberhsip it assigns the user to the course when user access the course home page even when admin has removed her from course admin coz tactically he has the membership he can access the course . To fix that either you have to remove the membership level from user Or remove the membership level from the course pricing settings .   We will check these warning .Our development environment is also 7.2 but we dont usually face these warnings .  
    soulshakepower
    Spectator
    Hi Alex, Thanks for quick reply as always. So if I understand you well, this is how your "WPLMS Woocommerce memberships" plugin works, like when you say "tactically he has the membership he can access the course". Therefore when a student browses a course's home page to get info, he gets "enrolled" to that course without even clicking on "Start course". Even if technically it makes sense for you, the theme creators, I found this incredibly non-sense from a student/website owner standpoint.. I understand my students being confused having a list of hundreds of courses they never started in their dashboard, and was hoping you would too. You fix suggestion to "remove the membership level from user. Or remove the membership level from the course pricing settings" will result in students being unable to access my courses. I know we might be a few using your WPLMS WC Memberships plugin, and even fewer using a single membership to access all courses, but can you please consider improving this behavior in the future? Thanks for considering, I hope you understand why it is confusing to me. Cheers!
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well I can understand that in your case you dont want then to enroll unless they want to automatically in courses. But most of users want it to be like this . Above is the case when instrcutor removes user and she still automatically enrolled in course. But when user purchased memberships she is added to all courses which are connected to membership which is the case all users want to be . This is the first time we encountered such a workflow . We can do this under paid customization that when membership is purchased user will not be added to any of the course . When she opens course connected to membership shw would see enroll button which will then add her to course . Will that be ok?
    soulshakepower
    Spectator
    Hi Alex, Yes, I would be interested in such customization, and other ones if you do such things :) About this one, can the enroll button you a referring to be the start course button? This way there is only one button and when user clicks it, he goes directly into the course (+ gets enrolled). Let me know how much such customization would be please! Thank you!!
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    plugin is almost ready but im having difficulty in reidrecting to course status page . It will be ok If we can put enroll button on it and then show start course ?
    soulshakepower
    Spectator
    Hi Alex! Thanks for jumping on this so quickly! Do you ever sleep? or you guys are twins both called Alex and alternating to give us 24/7 support presence?? lol. I think I rather stay with current behavior (users getting enrolled to courses on course intro page visit) than having to click twice on the button. I know it might sound silly, but from my standpoint -and webdesign ergonomics experience, I really want to keep things very simple -and idiot proof :) for my users (that are aged from 12 to 86!). That's why just a "start course" button is better for me than a "enroll" than click again on start course. As our "business model" (if I can call it that way,) is that our customers get a membership that gives access to our entire library, and that's it. No complication, simplicity. I you manage to make it work with 1 click then go to course content, I'm definitely interested and definitely want to pay you for this. So lmk! I hope you understand my conception. Cheers!
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well then we just need to disable the function which adds users to all courses when user purchases membership and just enroll student and show start course only when user visits that course . for that please just comment out this line in wplms-woocommerce-memberships/classes/wplms-wm.class.php file: http://i.prntscr.com/TcXkzb1sTMqYIdtMLyzV_A.png
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Users are subscribed to courses after landing on course pages’ is closed to new replies.