Extracting Quiz Results

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries How-to & Troubleshooting Extracting Quiz Results

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    russellc
    Spectator
    Hi there, Last year I asked about how we could extract quiz results so that we could further analysis the student's performance based on a range of tags associated with the question (not just the marks awarded).  Here is the original thread: https://wplms.io/support/forums/topic/extraction-of-quiz-and-question-data/ In your response, you mentioned that we should review the results.php file. We haven't had much success, I'm afraid. We are having trouble with complex inner joins and between SQL queries and I'm not sure that we're identifying the right data / fields. Are you able to point us in the right direction to be able to generate the underlying quiz/question data that is part of the automatic quiz 'evaluation' process that marks questions as correct and tabulates the number of correct marks in the quiz?   Thanks for your continued support. Regards, Russell
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi... Now there is function in vibe course module plugin for the auto evaluate quiz. Can you please clarify your objective like what data you want to fetch so that we can help you with that. PS: This month we are releasing the API for wplms which will help you more easily to fetch the results of students.
    russellc
    Spectator
    Thanks for your reply. I'll keep an eye out for the new API, thanks. There are 2 different perspectives we are trying to solve for here:   1. Instructor perspective: We want to extract quiz/question results to analyse the performance of each question in a quiz. For example: how many students selected option 1, versus options 2, 3 or 4. Another example: how did students perform on questions based on tags (e.g. a particular learning objective, a particular learning taxonomy, a particular module/topic, a particular difficulty level). This will give us information on whether we need to update the question or the options in the question...or create or update our learning resources to target the gaps in their knowledge and capability.   2. Student perspective: when the student clicks on Check Results, at the moment, they see all the questions they attempted, whether they got the question correct and their total score for the quiz (e.g. 8/10). However, what we want to do is also provide them with additional performance reports based on the tag items discussed above (e.g. performance relating to learning objectives, learning taxonomy, module/topic, difficulty level). This may be directly reported to them in the Results page, or perhaps a link to another page that has the detailed performance report built in.   In the short term, we just wanted to extract all the data on quizzes/questions so that we could manually explore what we want and how the performance reports should be presented. Then, we would look to automate the generation of these reports into the system.   Thanks, Russell
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi... I guess you have not seen our single question page, there are stats present for single questions also, refer: http://prntscr.com/fhtzld The question answers are stored in the wordpress comments, so you can extract the user id from the comments table.  
    russellc
    Spectator
    Thanks - I had seen those stats, but I understand they are for single questions only - we have about 2,000 questions that we want to analyse, and across about 4,000 students. We need an extract for all questions so we can do the analysis faster than one-by-one. With the Wordpress comments, that's where we have started, but the hard part is we only need Question comments...and we also only want comments from specific questions that are linked to particular types of quizzes that were undertaken by the student. Also, since about August 2015, I understand that WPLMS stopped saving the date against the comment, so all we have is the comment ID to provide a proxy for when the comment was generated. I'm hopeful that your new API will solve a lot of the pain we've been going through to extract this data! Thanks, Russell
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Hi... You can look into activity table and activity meta table, the time that you mentioned can be found in the activity table, and in the activity meta table you can find all the results of the quiz, like total questions, question marks total marks, etc. This can be found in the quiz evaluated activity type and its meta.
    russellc
    Spectator
    Ok, thanks for your help. I'll keep looking :)
    H.K. Latiyan
    Participant
    Yeah sure...
    MeesterGijs
    Spectator
    I'm very curious, Russell. Did you find what you were looking for? Gijs (Netherlands)
    russellc
    Spectator
    Hi Gijs, unfortunately, there was nothing 'out of the box' here. We paid an external developer to find and extract the data we wanted - he created a custom query that we ran on our database back-ups, but the next step will be to develop and release in a live environment.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Extracting Quiz Results’ is closed to new replies.