setting up Forums for students and instructors

Home Forums Legacy Support Support queries Setup issues setting up Forums for students and instructors

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    I am trying to set up a forum which only the students and instructors can see. How do I do this? I have connected the forum to a course and joined a user to the course but when I log in as that user there is no forum even though they are on the course. I also want to set up a method for individual students to ask questions of the instructors. There is more than one instructor and I want the questions to go to all instructors so that whoever is available can answer the question. How can this be done?
    MrVibe
    Keymaster
    Ok, there are 2 possibilities : All Students and All Instructors :  Create any forum and mark it as private. Course Students and Course Instructors : Enable Course Forum privacy from WP Admin - LMS - Settings - Course forum privacy.   Second. 1. Enable notes and discussion.https://wplms.io/support/knowledge-base/notes-discussions-in-wplms/ 2. There are 2 modes for notes and discussion, first one  per paragraph basis is shown in the video, the second one is per unit basis can be enabled from WP admin - WPLMS - Course manager - Notes & Discussion mode. 3. To automatically notify Instructors about the questions : Enable WP Admin - LMS - Settings - Touch points - Unit comment - Instructor - enable message, notification and emails.
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    1. I have followed your instructions and set up Unit level discussion. However, when I add a discussion topic as a student the instructor gets a notification but does not get an email and nothing appears in the instructors notes and discussions. The student does get an email to tell them that they have posted a discussion topic and the discussion appears in their profile. However, in these circumstances they will never get a reply as the instructor is unaware of what the comment is and has no way of reading it. I have set the notifications to be "yes" for message, notification and email for "Unit comment added by User" for the instructor and the student. 2. Also, we are using co-author plus plugin to allocate two instructors to the course. Only one instructor is shown whilst someone is taking the course (at the top of the screen) and only one of the instructors is sent the notification of the students comment. 3. We need all instructors to receive all the student comments so that whoever is available at the time can respond promptly. How do we achieve this?
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    The emails to instructors are not going as of now .This is still a pending issue . But the email touch point is working fine for the students . refer : http://prntscr.com/cch675 Make sure that your wplms theme and all its plugins are updated to latest version . Please make sure that the students have provided a valid email id in their accounts . Please confirm if the messages or notifications are sent with the touchpoints ? Can you please provide your site url and admin credentials to check this issue with the student emails at your end . PS : mark reply as private while sharing .
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    As I said the students are getting emails when they leave a comment on a course unit. The instructor and the student get notifications that the comment was left but that is all. No messages to student or instructor and no email to instructor. The problem is that the Instructor gets informed of this by notifications but has no way of responding to the note. The notification does not have a link to the message from the student. The instructor does not receive a message or an email. Therefore the instructor has no way to respond to the students message. The notification screen is confusing because it has the option "read". As an untrained user I thought this was the option to see the message but now know it just marks the notification to say it has been processed. Notifications also seem to be put on the students record to say they have left a comment but there is no message in their message box. Neither does there seem to be anywhere to look at all the comments they have left and the responses. There is nothing in "Notes and Discussions". I would expect the note left by the student to appear in the Instructors "Notes and Discussions" or in "Messages" awaiting a response. How is the instructor supposed to process the message if the system is working? Unfortunately, our domain has not been set live and the site is being developed offline so I cannot give you access to it directly.
    MrVibe
    Keymaster
    Thanks for the use case. The Instructor of the unit can directly see all the comments made by students on his units directly by viewing the unit, so all Instructor needs is the link of the unit to reply to the user's comments. The emails not going to instructor is a bug (fixed in upcoming update). I understand the notifications screen is actually built by the buddypress.   To enable Messages, make sure you've enabled messages for the Unit comments section, ofcourse messages is where the discussion between instructor and student can continue off the record.
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    I have enabled messages for course unit comments. In fact I have tried turning them off and saving and turning them on and saving again just to check. How do I view the unit as an instructor. At present I am logged in as the instructor and when I click on courses it tells me the following: Under the "My courses" TAB "not subscribed to any courses" Under the "Instructing Courses" TAB "You have not created any course" I guess this may be why I am not receiving messages. I have checked and I am the instructor for the course. I have checked this in Admin and on the course page. I have also deactivated the Co-Author Plug-in to check that whether that is the problem but this does not change things.
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well please check if you are the author of that unit or not .Code picks the author of the unit and sends message, email or notification  to him. Please check if you are author in that unit in which user is adding questions? If not then please add yourself as author of that unit and check for the message and notification .
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    Yes, I am the author of the course and all the units in it. I have checked by logging in as Admin and all the units show me as the instructor. I can see the comments from the Admin Dashboard against the unit and that unit shows me as the Instructor. Actually, I have noticed that the instructor only sometimes gets a notification of the comment but never gets a message.
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Okay thanks for sharing the details . Well sometimes messages not sent in Buddypress if the subject and content of the message is same .In that case notification comes up in handy as they do not have such filter to block the same notification .They are sent no matter if the subject is same or not . This is a Buddypress feaure by default ,to block spamming. Can you please try adding a comment in 2-3 units of yours and check if the message appears . Also we have already fixed the email for unit comments .Fix will be released in the next update if vibe course module .
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    I have done as you suggested and put a comment in another module but there is still no message for the instructor. Please note my previous comments; 1 Sometimes the instructor doesn't even get a notification 2 Why are no courses shown in the instructor dashboard in the "instructing modules" widget? a) Under the "My courses" TAB "not subscribed to any courses" and... b) Under the "Instructing Courses" TAB "You have not created any course
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Okay thanks for sharing the details .These issues are seems to be very strange .If code was not working then you would not be able to get any notification or message or email . Can you please provide your site url  login credentials of the instructor who is facing this issue, and admin credentials to check above issues at your end . PS  : mark reply as private while sharing .
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Anshuman Sahu
    Keymaster
    Well there is no notification sent for the forums . Forums functionality is form bbpress . In wplms or bbpress there is no such feature to send notification when a new topic is posted . For that you need to subscribe the forums manually by clicking on subscribe button at top of it as I mentioned in previous reply . This will send email to the users who are subscribed to it just like our forums . The notification message email touch points are available for unit comments  which is this : https://wplms.io/support/knowledge-base/notes-discussions-in-wplms/ And in this there is a pending issue with the instructor email for the unit comment . So please check if this unit comments touch points  are working properly  or not . Thanks ...
    eltobermory
    Spectator
    I think there may be a break down in communications here; What do you mean by "For that you need to subscribe the forums manually by clicking on subscribe button at top of it as I mentioned in previous reply ." As I said the instructor does not appear to be subscribed to any forums. If I log in as the instructor and click on forums I get a number of TABs. If I click on the "Subscribed TAB" I get a message which says; Subscribed Forums You are not currently subscribed to any forums. Subscribed Topics You are not currently subscribed to any topics. Surely the instructor should automatically be subscribed to forums connected to their courses. Even if that is not the case, I cannot find anywhere that allows me to subscribe to the course forum. You have asked me "So please check if this unit comments touch points are working properly or not ". The answer is no, it is not working properly. As I have already said the instructor does not get a message when the student leaves a comment even though the touch point settings are selected to say that they should.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘setting up Forums for students and instructors’ is closed to new replies.