Video Uploads To AWS or Other Video hosting Services

Home Forums General [ No Support Zone ] Feature Request Video Uploads To AWS or Other Video hosting Services

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    foxycleop
    Spectator
    Hi there: Currently, if a third party instructor creates a course and uploads video materials in units, they get uploaded to Wordpress. This is an issue for the following reasons:
    1. There is an upload limit to the size of video that can be uploaded based on the hosting provider

2. The bandwidth charges by host are more expensive than hosting videos on something like AWS or other video hosting providers.

3. Alternatively, the website admin can take the videos (from wordpress back-end) and manually upload them to a different video hosting providers and change all the links on the courses. This will obviously be time consuming and not a scalable solution.

Therefore, WPLMS falls short a bit in this area (if it is to be a true "platform"). Could you kindly create a feasible solution to this issue where a third party instructor uploads a video and it automatically gets uploaded to a third party video hosting service like AWS etc. and get the link to show the video on wordpress.      

quanto
    Spectator
    I second this proposal!
    blenderfrance
    Spectator
    Me too. Come on this is a major feature, and it's missing.
    elliebludigital
    Spectator
    This may be a temporary solution: https://deliciousbrains.com/wp-offload-s3 All uploads can get offloaded to Amazon S3.
    foxycleop
    Spectator
    Yes, that is  a temporary solution indeed. That plugin uploads files to your media library first then copies to s3. So you are limited by how large of a file your hosting provider allows to upload (obviously an issue for video files) for other types of files this may be a good solution.    
    sandy
    This feature is now available. You can now add secured content (Images/Audio/Video/Attachments) in your wplms site using this addon plugin : http://www.vibethemes.com/downloads/wplms-s3/
    Deserter92
    Participant
    It seems to be a great plugin :) However I have two questions : 1# Is the upload limit of 40mb is applied or there is no upload limit ? 2# If a video is uploaded by this plugin, is the video supported by jwplayer or flowplayer ? Thanks for your answers :)
    foxycleop
    Spectator
    From using this plugin, I realized it works on the same principle as Wp-Offload S3 (mentioned above). The upload limit is based on what your hosting provider permits. So I assume the file is first upload to the host then transferred to S3. Uses Wordpress native players to display the files.  
    MrVibe
    Keymaster

1# Is the upload limit of 40mb is applied or there is no upload limit ? Yes, as of now this would apply. But good suggestion.

2# If a video is uploaded by this plugin, is the video supported by jwplayer or flowplayer ? Yes, it will be playable by jw or flowplayer.

No, the upload happens directly to S3 but the upload buffer where the video is uploaded (like any other file) is defined by your server php.ini settings. It would be a good suggestion to upload the video in chunks and probably download in chunks, I'll try to address this.
    ulyssesw
    Spectator
    Hi, This is a good plugin and i think many WPLMS owners will be happy to have a solution for videos now. I took a good 1-2 hours reading through Amazon S3 product details and also some their pricing charges. I have some questions and thoughts, and maybe anyone here can provide opinions. Please feel free. - They have a great pricing structure. You pay more when you use more. No set up fee, no contracts, no monthly subscriptions. But im a little confused with their pricing components (storage, requests, data transfer, retrieval). The separate components make it hard to visualize what is the bill going to look like. - Im sure many WPLMS owners are looking at Amazon S3 for video hosting solutions. I think i realised is that videos are not automatically encoded when we upload to it. So which means whatever files we (or our instructors) upload, it will be stored as it is (original format) on Amazon S3. And when someone hits play on the video file, the original format is streamed to the user. Will this result in browser incompatibility with video file format? And also will the video resolution/size/format be an issue for different devices (pc, mobile, tablets)? I come across Amazon's another product called elastic transcoder, which does the job of encoding video files. But this comes with a separate fee by itself. - Can the user download the video when they access it on our WPLMS site? Looking forward to inputs. Thanks.
    jabenalcazar
    Participant
    Hi, Do you have any solution for Wistia? It´s a profesional video hosting and you recomend it in some of your comments. It could be the first your first option to solve.   Thanks.
    MrVibe
    Keymaster
    @ulyssesw: That is correct bill is confusing to visualise. The main part of billing will comprise of data transfer (bandwidth) for video hosting. - If we get more requests for video/audio conversions on the fly, we will integrate with this service "transloadit.com" @ jabenalcazar : Yes, we're aware of Wistia and its Free 50 videos plan. We'll add separate plugin for Vimeo and Wistia soon.
    ulyssesw
    Spectator
    Hi, For S3, Vimeo, Wistia, i have a common question. I believe we need to have a main account with these 3rd party hosting provider. This is for sure. And when our instructors, whom not outsiders, add a video at the front end of WPLMS: - Do they only see their own uploads? From your Amazon S3 tutorial, the answer should be yes. - Is there a need to have "sub-users" accounts created with the 3rd party hosting providers? Or do the videos uploaded by instructors, all go under the main account? Regards.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Video Uploads To AWS or Other Video hosting Services’ is closed to new replies.